Saturday, December 24, 2011

2011 in retrospect

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone! This was a wonderful and this was a difficult year for us. In January Jason had his ICD (defibrillator/pacemaker) inserted in January. Many dilemmas about this and what was best for Jason. Joanna, Dean, Jeff, Robyn, Kim and everyone was wonderful during that time - thank you. It turned out to be a smart move.


The end of March my contract ended with DMFS (Directorate Military Family Services), I loved working there with my PPD team but the good news is that I started April 1st with QOL (Quality of Life), an amazing opportunity to support families including their CF members and help families with their access to health care as Family Health Care Coordinator!


In May I went to NYC with my peeps (fabulous trip - thank you Michelle, Jackie and Florence). I went for stress relief and found it at the Plaza Hotel! Central Park, MOMA, Broadway (Mamma Mia - a surreal experience for me, I was in heaven), Statue of Liberty, Strawberry Fields, shopping on Fifth Ave, Versace, Tiffany's, FAO Schwartz, Saks, Bloomingdales, the list goes on! Drinking a Cosmo with your friends and laughing easily lifts the stress away.


After I got back from NYC (I like saying NYC -can you tell?) Jason's ICD fired and he had another massive cardiac "event" as they like to call it (I like calling fun things events but I digress). Jason recovered from that with some meds adjustments but lost his licence due to the ICD firing. 7 months I drove him and for 7 months he drove me (we drove each other up the wall at times).


In June we found out one of the most important people in our lives is battling cancer. A shock but a roller coaster ride again but we are used to that by now. Fighting and winning, thank god.


Jacob finished Grade 7 with amazing marks and he played soccer all summer. We loved watching him play. In August we went to Newfoundland for our annual visit.


In September Jason was posted from Leitrim to the IPSC (Integrated Personnel Support Centre) and was then posted to DCSM (Directorate Casualty Support Management) which is in my building. So we were driving together every day and working in the same building - a definite recipe for marital success.


In November I went Black Friday shopping with some amazing women (Thanks Lisa, Kristine and Kim - you guys made me laugh so much, just what the doctor ordrered) and Jason started a new job at the Department of History and Heritage - he is working in a library and loving it! I met his co-workers at his work Christmas party and they are the nicest bunch! I am so happy for him.


In December, after 2 months of research, we bought a new vehicle - Jason got his licence back before we bought it so he is a happy camper. An early Christmas gift for us all. Jacob is doing well in school and I am loving my job, working with an amazing caring group of individuals and supporting military families.


Other friends have been diagnosed with cancer and illness this year, we are missing the people who have passed away this year. Family and friends are quietly struggling behind closed doors, battling life and its challenges like all of us. Reaching out to support each other is the greatest gift you can give and the greatest gift you can receive. I know this for sure. We have been held up and supported through this 3 1/2 year transition which will be ongoing I think and that is OK. Through the love and support of our family and friends, co-workers and even strangers, we will ride this roller coaster. Now we will do it kicking, screaming and swearing, but we will do it. I hope we can do the same for you.


To 2012 and all of its surprises and mysteries, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment